Looking for a new set of golf balls for seniors ( more distance & more durable) ? Well, that’s a serious task.
But, try looking for the best golf balls for seniors, and you’ll realize it’s even more complicated! How do you know the difference? What to look for?
Today, we will answer all of your questions!
Top 7+ best golf balls for Seniors (more distance & more durable)– 2018 reviews
Volvik Vivid Matte Finished Colored Golf Balls (One Dozen)
Designed with a three-piece, low compression golf ball that includes a new larger core to help Seniors produce maximum distance on every shot.
Unique, highly visible matte color finish that helps Senior golfer get highly visible without losing performance
New, larger core is designed to helps Senior get maximize distance
Made to help Senior golfer produce less driver spin, higher wedge spin, and a mid-to-high ball flight
Medium soft feel
Callaway 2017 Supersoft Golf Balls (One Dozen)
Designed to promote faster ball speed & low spin that help Senior golfers get longer, straighter flight on full shots
New Premium HEX Aerodynamics with more refined surface contours reduces drag & enhances lift that help Seniors increase carry & longer distance.
New Tri-ionomer cover formulation increases softness that help Senior Golfers better feel & more shot-stopping wedge spin.
Srixon Q-Star 4 2018 Golf Balls
Srixon Q-Star 4 is a golf ball for seniors that was designed in 2018. Its newest features are low-compression energetic gradient growth core, remarkable spin skin coating, and the Aerodynamic 338-speed dimple pattern.
All of these characteristics make the ball go farther. Using this set, you will gain more control over your hits. These will work great for novice and intermediate players.
However, you should be aware that Srixon Q-Star 4 balls come with the urethane cover, which might make them softer than you’d prefer.
- They offer an incredible spin control.
- They are great for seniors, novice, and intermediate players.
- They come with 2-piece design and 338 Speed Dimple Pattern.
- They come with the urethane cover.
Callaway Golf 2018 Chrome Soft Golf Balls (One Dozen)
Designed for fast ball speeds that help Senior golfers minimize driver-spin & promote high launch for long distance.
Softer golf balls compress easier on off center hits that help Seniors get incredible distance all over the face.
This ball combines Tour-proven distance & performance with unparalleled feel and exceptional mis-hit forgiveness
Titleist DT TruSoft Golf Balls
If you are a senior golfer looking for a reliable classic, Titleist is always a brand to consider. Their TruSoft golf balls for seniors offer soft compression, which ensures 10-15 yards longer distance through the low long game spin.
These balls are suited not just for seniors but also high handicappers and other players with 90 mph or less swing speed.
For a reasonable price, you will be getting high quality and consistency. However, if you are short sided, you might have some problems getting close to the ball.
- It offers low compression and soft feel.
- The balls are suited for players with 90 mph or less swing speed.
- It offers excellent distance for mid-high handicappers.
- It is affordable and provides a good level of control.
- If you’re short-sided, it can be tough to get close to it.
- The ball is too soft to achieve really long distance.
Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls
Callaway Supersoft golf balls for seniors are made with surlyn cover, and they have the ultra-low compression. Such design will reduce your spin, make your shots straight and increase the distance.
Another great thing about these balls is the fact they come in four different colors for better visibility – white, lime, orange and turquoise.
Unfortunately, if you like the crisp sound of the club hitting the ball, we have to disappoint you. These balls are so soft; the hit is almost silent.
- It keeps your shots straight and up to 20 yards longer.
- It feels very soft on the green, great for cold weather.
- It has ultra-low compression which reduces the spin.
- The balls are extremely durable.
- They won’t make any noise when you hit them due to their softness.
- It might be too soft for you or strange for putting.
Vice Pro Plus Golf Balls
Vice Pro Plus are golf balls designed for seniors who are still highly skilled players. In comparison to regular 2-piece ball with surlyn cover, here, you have something completely different – 4-piece with a urethane cover.
If you are looking for great distance and lower ball flight, this should be your choice. At the same time, this ball is exceptionally bright, so seniors won’t have any problem locating it in the air or on the ground. However, it is not the most durable option on the market.
- It offers extraordinary distance and control.
- The ball is super bright, which makes it easy to locate during the flight and on the ground.
- These are designed for players with moderate-to-high club speeds.
- The balls are a bit pricey.
- The ball set is not very durable.
MG Senior Golf Balls
When we talk about golf balls for seniors, we usually think of regular golf balls that have slightly different specifics. However, MG decided to design a ball especially for this population of players. Their senior ball provides the most benefits for players with slower swing speed, whose drives are 250 yards or less.
This ball offers striking distance and straight hits. At the same time, your putts will feel more solid. However, you should be aware that these are not legal to use for tournaments and they damage easier than expected.
- The distance is great and straight.
- The balls are ideal for players with slower swing speed.
- They are firm enough.
- The balls damage easily.
- The MG Senior is not legal to use for the most tournaments.
Bridgestone 2017 E6 Soft Golf Balls
Anyone looking for a golf ball for seniors should consider Bridgestone’s last year’s E6 model. These balls have great features and a reasonable price. The feel is incredibly soft, and delta dimples are here to create smoother air resistance.
Also, you can get these in both yellow and white, for better visibility. Added yards and better control is what you’ll be getting.
However, you should be aware that Bridgestone’s balls scratch easily and land on the surface like rocks.
- They provide additional distance and control due to low compression.
- You’ll get the soft feel and the low spin.
- They are highly visible when they get lost.
- They come with the tremendous value-for-money ratio.
- The surface of the ball scratches easily.
- They land like rocks.
Hyperion Golf HVR Balls (2017)
Designed to improve senior golfers play, best for seniors who struggle with slice and hook shots
The 3 piece construction with soft interior gives Seniors greater control over their shots, granting the high performance they demand while golfing
The surlyn casing offers decreased spin on the drive that help seniors reduce slices & hooks that will impact Seniors shots giving them long distance, straighter drives, & improved accuracy
The core has a unique design to give Seniors a soft feel off of the club after it’s been hit, giving them greater feel over where the ball will play
What’s the difference between Regular & Senior golf balls?
For many decades, golf has been one of the most popular games among senior citizens. However, people who played golf throughout their adulthood usually realize that when they reach a certain age (55-60 years), the game becomes much different as their physical abilities deteriorate.
However, this doesn’t mean seniors should give up their favorite sport. On the contrary! The key to making the gameplay more convenient is picking the right equipment and learning new tips and tricks, like the ones you can see in this video to improve your game. Here’s the list of characteristics that are different in golf balls for seniors in comparison to the regular ones.
- The ball cover should be firmer
Senior golfers usually opt for lower and straighter trajectory. This can be achieved by choosing the right ball cover design. Just like everyone else, senior players have a chance to choose between two different kinds of balls – the Surlyn and the Urethane type.
Golf balls that are designed specifically for seniors commonly come with the Surlyn cover. Its most significant advantages are enchanted firmness and durability. At the same time, balls made with this type of ball cover are more affordable.
On the other hand, golf balls with the urethane cover provide higher backspin, but they also come with less control. For highly skilled senior players, this shouldn’t be a problem, but Surlyn balls are still a safer option.
- Two-layer construction is a way to go
As you already know, golf balls consist of different layers. When you are looking for a regular golf ball, you can choose among one-piece, two-piece, three-piece and multi-layer balls. More layers provide more spin, while fewer layers ensure greater distance.
However, golf balls for seniors usually have the two-piece structure. This particular design offers long distance with lower swing speed, which is exactly what a senior player needs. At the same time, these balls are sturdy and budget-friendly.
Still, some senior golfers like to add a little more spin rate to their game. In this case, a three-piece structure would be a better choice. It gives the golfer a chance to gain additional control, but its travel distance is significantly shorter.
- Dimples are wider and shallower
Any passionate golfer is well aware that dimples on the golf ball are not here just for the decoration. Their primary role is to lower the effect of air pressure on the ball by reducing its cover area. This process makes a golf ball travel farther.
Golf balls for seniors usually have dimples that are wide and shallow. This design increases the shot distance and decreases the backspin, making the gameplay much simpler for elderly players. The small and deep dimples have the opposite effect, and senior players are often advised to stay away from golf balls of this design.
- Low compression
Golf beginners, high handicap players, and senior golfers are often advised to go with the low compression golf balls. They ensure a straighter driver with longer distances making the gameplay much simpler.
What to keep in mind when picking the golf balls for Seniors?
When you are shopping for golf balls for seniors or any other piece of equipment for the same population, you have to remember – not all players have the equal proficiency.
Amateur golfers will choose their equipment differently than professionals, just like high handicappers will, in comparison to low handicappers. Keeping this in mind, you can narrow down your options a little bit.
Different senior golfers have different skillsets. Make sure you check these things before making a purchase:
- Your handicap – Your handicap is always essential when choosing the right equipment, no matter your age.
- Desired distance and level of control – It is crucial that you are aware of the distance and control you want to achieve. If you know this information and combine it with the details we gave above, choosing the right ball should be an easy task.
- Changed swing speed – Even if you had a high swing speed during your best years, it is expected that you will experience a drop in your performance as you age. That is why golf balls for seniors should be the ones that work well with average swing speed.
- Durability and the materials – When you are shopping for golf balls, longevity is always something you should look for. However, senior golfers often choose hardcover golf balls. They are less durable than soft cover balls, and they don’t spin as much, but their main advantage is the fact they offer a better ground roll.
If you don’t worry about the spin, be free to go for a more durable, soft cover. This way, you will gain distance as well.
Choosing the best among numerous great golf balls for seniors is not a simple task. However, we have to decide the winner. After careful consideration of essential features of different balls, their pros, and cons, we decided that the Callaway Supersoft Golf Balls deserve the title of the best golf ball for seniors.
Even though it might be a little bit softer than you would like, Callaway’s ball has every attribute we pointed out as important. The surlyn cover, low compression, and durability – everything is here. Also, it comes in four different colors, which can make the game easier for people whose sight is deteriorating.
Hopefully, this guide will help you find your ideal golf ball for senior players. However, if you have any additional questions or opinions and experiences you’d like to share with us, feel free to leave us a comment!